Pilgrimage to the
Lands of Dominic - 1985
By: Barbara Cooper
June 1st - Bologna
After breakfast we got on our bus for San Domenico where we had
morning prayer together. Each seat in the choir had a wood etching
depicting a scene from the Hebrew or Christian Scripture.
There is lots of noise! Masses going on at many
altars; a fiery preacher blasting away in Italian, with a PA system he
hardly needs! I find it difficult to pray in these surroundings...or
maybe a different type of prayer is called for.
It was nice to have some space this afternoon. The
adventure in Italy is getting across the street in one piece! The train
station across from the hotel is full of activity. There is a plaque
commemorating the victims of the train bombing by the Red Brigade in
1982. The train station is also the best place to eat! So unlike home!
Delicious lasagna and strawberries!
Supper with Liz and Steven...too much food too late at
night, but delicious! Great fun sitting at sidewalk cafe's and "people
watching" - listening to the sounds. Notes
from Nona's talk (in same room as International Symposium of
- in December 1217, Dominic came to Bologna from Toulouse to
check out the University.
- From here, Dominic went on to Rome, but sent brothers back (to
Bologna) to establish a house
- Reginald of Orleans obtained a church through Diana's mediation
- Bologna was more friendly to the Friars than Paris was.
- Diana made profession to Dominic; no community as yet
- Close link between brothers and sisters - One Order
1220 - First Chapter of 30 delegates from different
- dispensation is built into Constitutions (change from common practice
at that time)
- Mission considered more important than law; laws not binding "under
sin" (another break with custom of time)
- laws made, and changed, by brothers and sisters
- Heart of Poverty was generous sharing
- first time Religious called "brother" - to each other and other people
(instead of "monks", etc)
- houses called "convents" (gathering place to come back to) rather than
"monastery" (a stable, permanent place)
1221 Chapter - 50 delegates (20 more than last year!)
- plan of "Provinces" set up - for unity and decentralization.
- linked by Profession - "Yes" holds together.